Friday, January 22, 2010

Sullivan's Tire Plus Redefines Customer Satisfaction

Continuing the saga of the Money Pit and its repairs (catch up by reading the two previous posts), I took the MP to Sullivan's Tire Plus in Danville, Indiana, after work today. When I spoke with them earlier this week, they said to bring it in Saturday morning around 8:00am, but the Mrs. has a hair appointment that morning, and we were going to have transportation issues. As it was, I was going to need Chuck and his wife to help me with childcare and a ride to Sullivan's tomorrow afternoon when the van was done. So to solve the morning problem, I was just going to drop the van off tonight and leave it there.

When I arrived, the man I spoke with earlier this week wasn't there, so I had to repeat my story to someone else. The man took my key and then asked if I had a minute. I said, "Sure." But in my mind, I was cringing, thinking that maybe they were overbooked tomorrow, and I'd have to tolerate the rattling tailpipe for longer than I anticipated. He said he was going to talk to one of the mechanics, and he'd be right back.

He came back a couple minutes later and announced that they can fix it today! Sweet! That solves all my transportation and childcare issues tomorrow! I told him where the Money Pit was parked, and he said, "Actually, it's already in the service bay." Wow!! They don't mess around!

So I sat and watched a little TV, and I chatted with another customer who was sitting there. During our conversation, he asked me if these folks here at Sullivan's treat me okay. This was his first time here. I told him how we have brought at least three different vehicles to Sullivan's multiple times for repairs over the years, and they've always treated us courteously and fairly. They even quickly diagnosed and solved a problem in one vehicle that had previously baffled two other mechanics. The other customer was happy to hear it.

Fifteen minutes later, the mechanic came in. He told me how the impact of whatever hit the van had torqued and bent the tailpipe a little bit. He explained how he heated it up a bit, readjusted things, and he thinks the problem is solved. FIFTEEN MINUTES!! And it's done!! No more rattling tailpipe!

I was already happy as a clam as I walked over to the check-out counter to settle my tab. That's when Sullivan's REALLY blew me away.

The man who helped me when I arrived today entered all of the repair information in the computer and then just handed me my key. He told me that he's not charging me anything today. Nothing. Nada. Zip. Zilch. He only asks that if I wind up needing a muffler and tailpipe for the Money Pit at a later time, that I come back to Sullivan's.

I'm sure I looked like a total moron, standing there with my mouth hanging open. I was stunned. I couldn't shake his hand hard enough or thank him near enough. I absolutely will come back to Sullivan's for any automotive issues I might encounter on either of our vehicles in the future!!

Two hours later, I'm still in shock.

On Monday, Andy Mohr Toyota in Avon was telling me that I needed an entirely new exhaust system, that it would take 3-5 days for the parts to arrive, and it would set me back $500.00.

On Friday, Sullivan's Tire Plus in Danville countered with this: When I thought I was just dropping the van off so that they'd have it first thing in the morning, they got me right in, instead. The Money Pit was up on a rack before I knew it. Literally. Fifteen minutes later, with a little heat and some brute force, it was fixed. No new exhaust system necessary. I had the Money Pit back, and all of my logistical problems for tomorrow became moot points. Oh, and no more irritating vibration. And then the mother of all surprises: they did it for free. FREE!!

On Monday, by treating me like I have SUCKER tattooed on my forehead, Andy Mohr Toyota lost a customer forever. I will never buy a vehicle from them (I didn't buy the Money Pit from them, anyway), nor will I ever again take a vehicle there to be serviced or repaired. I will also tell everyone I know about my bad experience with them.

On Friday, by treating me better than I could ever have possibly imagined, Sullivan's Tire Plus ensured my business for a very, very, very, very long time. I will also tell everyone I know about my OUTSTANDING experience with them.

If you're in the Indianapolis metropolitan area and need work done on your vehicle, make the drive out to Danville (actually, they have a location in Avon, too, for those coming in from the city) and see the good people at Sullivan's Tire Plus. I can't recommend them highly enough.

1 comment:

  1. Eric,

    That is awesome! I'm so glad to hear that you finally had some good news to report about your experiences w/ the MP! I actually got a little misty! *snif* You're not the first person I've heard horror stories from pertaining to an authorized Toyota dealership service department...they are notorious for ripping poeple off!!! I once owned an MR2...so fun to drive...when it was running....I got to the point where I kept a small paper bag in the car....every time I had to take my MP in for repairs...that bag came in handy! I did find an exceptional mechanic...so rare..he did all the work on my car from then on. My friend Brian had a toyota truck, he took it in to the toyota sevice dept., because his truck was "running rough", they charged him $600, & had his truck for 3 days...there was no change....he took it to my mechanic....30 minutes later...& less than $100...the truck was purring...I made him go back to the dealership & get his money back! That is just ONE of the horror stories! T

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?