Monday, January 18, 2010

Money Pit Update

Just got the Money Pit back from the dealership. Andy Mohr Toyota was "gracious" enough not to charge me for fixing the heat problem--you know, the problem they didn't fix right the first time in November--so I got out of there without throwing any more money into the pit. I asked them if they are serious that it's going to require an entirely new exhaust system and $500.00 to fix the tailpipe vibration issue, and the person I spoke with could barely maintain eye contact while telling me that the tailpipe is bent and won't fit right, so it needs to be replaced.

Apparently, my facial expression was enough to prevent the person from asking if I want to get that repair done.

On the way home, I stopped at our usual mechanic, Sullivan's Tire Plus. I explained what had happened to cause the damage, what the problem was, and that Toyota wants $500.00 to fix it. He walked outside with me, looked at the tailpipe, and said, "Heat the sumbitch up and bend it back!"

At last! Someone who speaks my language!

So I'm taking it back to him on Saturday morning. He'll put it up on the rack and see if there is any other damage--in his words, "We'll see if Toyota is right, or if they're full of shit." I LOVE this guy!--but he said that even if a bracket is bent or broken, that'll come in at way under $500.00. And he implied that I'll have it back by Saturday afternoon.

I like that solution a whole lot better than the alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?