Friday, March 20, 2009

The Police Helped Me

I was out at a bar last night with some friends, watching basketball... My beverage of choice all night was Diet Coke... On my way home shortly before midnight, I was stopped by a sheriff deputy because I was speeding... When he asked me if I knew why he stopped me, I knew the answer... There was no frame-up or police harassment or pulling-me-over-for-no-reason that I hear so much about from my clientele... I was speeding... I knew I was... I just didn't know that the set of headlights behind me belonged to law enforcement...

The deputy was very polite and pleasant throughout our interaction... We had a nice conversation, during which time he determined that I had not been drinking alcohol... He ran my license and registration, learned that I was not wanted for murder anywhere or driving a stolen car, and he was kind enough to let me go with a warning for the speeding... He wished me a good evening, and ten short minutes after he turned on his red and blue lights to stop me, I was back on my way home...

And that's the end of my story... There's no twist or anything... I just wanted to share a story about a positive experience with the police... It seems that we mostly hear negative stories about the police, and that seems unfair, given the constant service they provide to our communities and the peanuts they are paid for providing this service, often at great risk to their safety and well-being... This deputy was trying to protect my community from drunk drivers late at night on the first day of the NCAA Tournament... I appreciate that... He was nothing but professional and courteous... It was a good experience...

I only wish my kids could have been with me, because I go to great lengths to teach my daughters that the police are our friends, and that they help people... This would have been a great first-hand experience for them to see how a police officer does a great job in helping Daddy slow down...

1 comment:

  1. i couldn't agree more...with an alcohol-related traffic fatality occuring on average of every thirty-six minutes in this country i, too, am appreciative of all efforts to remove drunk drivers from the roadways! don

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?