Monday, March 16, 2009

How About Some Truth in Advertising?

I ordered a BlackBerry from Verizon's website on Saturday... There's a story behind why I didn't just get one at the local Verizon store, and it involves a smart-mouthed little turd who works there who twice failed to answer questions I had about their service and who, in the process of being completely useless to me, seemed to take great glee in pointing out what a technological ignoramus I am... So instead of giving the little turd a commission, I ordered on-line... HA! I fixed HIS little red wagon! Damn whippersnappers and their rock-and-roll music...........

So I ordered on-line on Saturday, and used a code for free OVERNIGHT delivery...

Now, I'm not an irrational guy, and I didn't expect any of the fine folks at Verizon or FedEx to work on the Sabbath, just to get my newest electronic gadget to me OVERNIGHT...but I did expect to receive it today...

I got an e-mail on, interestingly, the Sabbath at 5:41pm that my order had shipped... I thought, Yay! Now I can spend Monday night neglecting my family and playing with my new shiny toy (because I'm simple like that)! The e-mail even included a link to click to track my package... Super! I click on it, it routes me to FedEx's website, where I see that my package arrived at the Memphis FedEx facility at 7:43pm yesterday, and at 4:15am this morning, there was the completely useless information of "Shipment Information Sent to FedEx" added, whatever the hell that means... I figure, Memphis isn't too far from Indianapolis... It's not like my toy is coming from Hawaii or the Yukon or Uzbekistan or anything... Surely an OVERNIGHT delivery truck can make it here from Memphis by 3:00pm, the promised delivery time... It's only a 7-hour drive according to MapQuest, and if they had my package in-hand at 7:43pm yesterday, they could do the back stroke and make it here by 3:00pm today... Family neglect, here I come!

...until I go to log off, and my eye happens to catch the estimated delivery date on FedEx's website... It's tomorrow, not today, by 3:00pm...

Now, my brain tells me that it's not the end of the world... It's not like it's a new pacemaker or iron lung or iPod or something that I need to survive, and I'm going to die if I don't get it today... And I didn't pay for the OVERNIGHT shipping...although if I had paid for it, FedEx would have been getting well-acquainted with my mastery of foul language by now... And my family can be neglected tomorrow night, just as easily as they could have been neglected tonight... But my heart is really disappointed...

It's the principle of it that pisses me off... They said OVERNIGHT delivery, dammit! If FedEx can't deliver it overnight, fine... Just call it something else... Call it THREE-DAY delivery... Or SOMETIME THIS WEEK delivery... Or WHENEVER THE HELL WE FEEL LIKE GETTING IT TO YOU delivery... Don't call it OVERNIGHT delivery, though, and then not even try to deliver it OVERNIGHT...

At least I still have the satisfaction of knowing that the smart-mouthed little turd at the Verizon Store didn't make a commission off of me...

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?