Monday, July 27, 2009

The Resurrection of Michael Vick

Michael Vick was reinstated by the NFL today. Maybe it's the probation officer in me, but I'm actually glad to see it. I have to say, I surprised myself. I was one of the millions who were appalled by the details of his dog-fighting ring, but I'm glad he's getting another chance.

People deserve second chances. I absolutely do not condone what he did to get himself into legal trouble, but he has certainly paid a steep price for it. There have been NFL players who have driven drunk and killed human beings, and they received much lesser sentences from the judicial system, the NFL, and the Court of Public Opinion.

I won't be nominating Vick for sainthood. I didn't care much for him as a player, even before his legal problems; I always thought he was overrated. He definitely has a long road ahead of him. He doesn't even have an employer right now. The Atlanta Falcons officially cut ties with him months ago, and they have some new guy at QB named Matt Ryan who worked out pretty well last year in his rookie season. If and when Vick does find an NFL team to take a chance on him, I'd highly recommend that he keep his helmet on the entire game, even (especially) when standing on the sidelines or running onto the field. I imagine there will be some fans there who don't appreciate his presence, and they may express that displeasure through flying projectiles.

But if he's truly remorseful for his actions, has learned something from this experience, and is willing to make amends and make changes in his life so as to not repeat his criminal behavior, then more power to him. That's what I ask of the people I supervise.

I think that's all we can ask of Michael Vick.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?