Monday, February 22, 2010

Say What You Mean and Mean What You Say


Today I got a book by Seuss.
The rhymes in it can be quite loose.
I like to read it to my girls,
Especially the one with curls.

Seuss is a fave of mine, you see.
It started back when I was three.
My grandpa liked to write in rhyme.
He was quite silly from time to time.

As I grew up and learned to read,
He wrote me letters in rhyme. Indeed!
The entire letter would read like Seuss.
Sometimes I'd read while drinking juice.

I'd write him back as best I could
And make it rhyme, just like he would.
For years, we kept it up like this.
He'd read my rhymes, and I'd read his.

It became a kind of special thing,
The joy for me that it would bring.
And then one day, Grandpa was gone.
I cried the day that he passed on.

I still miss him lots, even today.
So when I see Seuss, it makes my day.
I really like his silly rhymes.
They take me back to happy times.

If you don't like green eggs and ham,
That's quite alright. I understand.
But Dr. Seuss is dear to me.
And now he fills my girls with glee.

Grandpa, the goofy rhymes still live.
Your gift to me, to my kids I give.
I read the Doc and have to smile,
While thinking of you, all the while.

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for this one, Eric! I love it and, I'm not going to lie, it made me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is great! I cried too!! ~ Melissa (Wait) Simmons

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?