Monday, August 16, 2010

My Dynasty Team

I think I mentioned previously that my brother-in-law runs a dynasty fantasy football league that I've played in since its inception five years ago. I've had some success in the 8-team league, finishing 4th, 2nd, 1st, and 2nd in the four previous years. Yes, I've played in the last three consecutive championship games. Sadly, I've only gone 1-2 in those games.

We had our draft last week, so I drafted ten players to add to my ten keepers. My keepers were:

QB - Aaron Rodgers (GB)
QB - Tony Romo (DAL)

RB - Chris Johnson (TEN)
RB - Maurice Jones-Drew (JAX)
RB - Ray Rice (BAL)

WR - Reggie Wayne (IND)
WR - Vincent Jackson (SD)
WR - Mike Wallace (PIT)
WR - Pierre Garcon (IND)

TE - Jermichael Finley (GB)

On any given week, we have to start two QB, three RB, four WR, two TE, a kicker, and a team defense. Scoring is pretty standard in this league, and we get a point per reception.

Being the runner-up in last year's championship game, I had the 7th pick (out of 8 teams) in every round.

So here's how the draft went for my team, the Wolverines:

1.7 - Johnny Knox, WR, Chicago - I was ECSTATIC to get Knox! My WR depth isn't great, especially with Vincent Jackson missing at least three games via suspension and possibly up to ten games, or the entire season, via holdout. So I was looking for an everyday starter. I knew who was going in the first four picks, but I wasn't sure about the fifth and sixth picks. I figured that either of those guys would likely take Knox. The guy with the fifth pick took C.J. Spiller, and then the guy with the sixth pick stunned me by taking Donald Driver (old, and not the #1 WR in Green Bay). Having the #1 WR on a Mike Martz-led offense with a decent QB at the helm drop into my lap was outstanding! I was thrilled!

2.7 - Donald Brown, RB, Indianapolis - I didn't really want to take Brown for a couple of reasons: he probably won't contribute much this season, and he's my third Colt. I don't like having that many players from one team on my roster. But with Joseph Addai likely leaving the Colts after this season, I think he has great keeper value, and I was surprised to see him fall this far. I couldn't let him fall any farther.

3.7 - Demaryius Thomas, WR, Denver - Like Brown, I don't expect Thomas to contribute much this season, but he's more of a long-term prospect. He's a rookie, he's super-talented, and he's been doing well in training camp. I feel like I got him at a good value.

4.1 (via trade) - John Carlson, TE, Seattle - I was targeting him in the draft to complement Finley. I've read a lot of positive things about Carlson from fantasy football prognosticators, sports writers, and even Seattle's QB, Matt Hasselbeck. The fact that he's a Seahawk is an added bonus, since I'm an avid Seahawks fan. I nearly took him at 3.7 but decided to risk it, take Thomas at 3.7, and try for Carlson two picks later at 4.1, instead. It was a close call--the guy picking a few spots before me instantly complained that he almost drafted Carlson but chose Malcom Floyd instead. Interestingly, I had originally targeted Floyd as a fill-in for Vincent Jackson, especially since he's holding down Jackson's WR spot in San Diego while Jackson is out. But since I got Johnny Knox with 1.7, I wasn't going to consider Floyd for another two or three rounds. The fact that I didn't get him because he went in the 3rd round didn't bother me a bit.

4.7 - Vince Young, QB, Tennessee - I only need Young for two weeks this season--weeks 4 and 10 when Rodgers and Romo have their bye weeks. I picked Young because he has fairly decent match-ups in those weeks: vs. Denver in Week 4 and vs. Miami in Week 10. Neither defense is a push-over, but neither is particularly good, either. I nearly took Matt Hasselbeck here because he's a Seahawk and because he plays against St. Louis (HORRIBLE defense) in Week 4 and Arizona (pretty good defense) in Week 10. But I decided on Young because Seattle's offense is in turmoil right now, and they have a new coaching staff to get used to. Young's had his issues, but he's very familiar with the Titans offense, and the head coach has been there for years. I'm thinking that defenses will be stacking the box to protect against Chris Johnson, which would, in theory, leave the receivers a little more breathing room. And while I'll miss out on that sweet Rams match-up, I'll take two mediocre defenses, rather than a terrible one and a very good one.

5.7 - Fred Jackson, RB, Buffalo - Again, I was looking for bye-week filler. Two of my RB are out for Week 9, and one is out for Week 8. I have Donald Brown to help fill in (at home vs. Houston on Monday Night Football in Week 8, and at Philadelphia in Week 9), but I need two fill-in RB in Week 9, especially with Brown going up against a top defense on the road that week. So with Jackson still available, I decided to take a chance. I know C.J. Spiller will be taking his job soon, and they have a horrid offensive line in Buffalo, but I was hoping that he'd still be getting the lion's share of the carries midway through the season while Spiller was learning the ropes. And Jackson had a sweet match-up against the horrible Kansas City defense in Week 8, and against the below-average Chicago defense in Week 9. It was a risk I was willing to take at this point in the draft. Four days after the draft, that risk blew up in my face. Jackson broke his hand in his first preseason game, required surgery to repair the damage, and is expected to miss 4-6 weeks. Should be plenty of time for the insanely talented rookie from Clemson to steal his job. Jackson is now likely waivers fodder as soon as I decide to pick up someone else. Dammit.

6.7 - Philadelphia Defense - The Minnesota defense went in the round prior to this one, so I figured it would set off a run on defenses (it didn't). I was pondering taking Golden Tate in this round, but the guy four picks ahead of me had the same idea. I wasn't real excited about anyone else that was available at that point, so I figured now was as good as time as any to take my defense, and Philly was my top-rated defense. Plus, in the weeks of our playoffs, they play against the Giants (Eli Manning should be imploding by then and committing all kinds of turnovers) and the Vikings at home (Brett Favre is usually good for several interceptions, and if he decides not to play that week, Tarvaris Jackson is horrible).

7.7 - Kenny Britt, WR, Tennessee - I had this guy last season, and he wasn't particularly good. He's very talented on the field, but he's a knucklehead off the field. If he ever gets his head on straight, he'll easily vault into the #1 WR in Tennessee. Or maybe not. If he turns into a great keeper, I stole him near the end of the 7th round. If he tanks again this year, I haven't invested much in him. I did realize, however, after I drafted him that I now have three Titans on my roster. Dammit.

8.7 - Tony Scheffler, TE, Detroit - He's my fill-in TE during Finley and Carlson's bye weeks (Week 10 and Week 5 respectively). He's pretty talented, but he was suffocated by a TE-unfriendly offensive scheme in Denver for a few years. He signed with Detroit this season, and the Lions are trying to utilize him the way the Colts utilize Dallas Clark. Granted, the Lions are no Colts, but if they're TRYING to get the ball to him, he might be good for a couple weeks when I need him. He gets Buffalo's rotten defense in Week 10 and the Rams' sorry excuse for a defense in Week 5 when I need him. I'll take it.

9.7 - Nate Kaeding, K, San Diego - This was my last pick, and nobody else interested me at this point. I often don't draft a kicker and just wait to see how the preseason pans out, grabbing one at the last minute before the season starts. But when no one else interests me here, and the kicker for one of the NFL's better offenses is still there, what the hell. I guess I'll take my damn kicker.

So there you have it. I'm sure I've put everyone to sleep except my brother-in-law, who is probably feverishly taking notes now that he knows what I'm thinking.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What's on your mind?